Former member of staff
Dr. Thorsten Zander
Member of the Hypermedia Lab.
Thorsten O. Zander studied Mathematics with focus on mathematical logic in Muenster, Germany. Following up on this he worked in research groups at the TU Berlin, the Fraunhofer FIRST, the TU Graz and the MPI for Intelligent Systems in Tuebingen. He received his PhD in 2011 at the TU Berlin for his work in the field of Passive Brain-Computer Interfaces (pBCIs), which were defined by him in the year 2008. Dr. Zander founded the workinggroup Team PhyPA (www.teamphypa.org) in 2005, which is led by him up today. At the KMRC he is focussing at the implementation of pBCIs in adaptive learning environments. This work connects neurocognitive processes with state-of-the-art methods from signal processin for setting up a user-state detection for adapting learning environments.
Passive Brain-Computer-Interfaces, Adaptive Learning Environments, Machine Learning
Articles in refereed Journals
- Zander, T. O., & Jatzev, S. (2012). Context-aware brain-computer interfaces: Exploring the information space of user, technical system and environment. Journal of Neural Engineering, 9, 016003.
- Zander, T. O., Gärtner, M., Kothe, C., & Vilimek, R. (2011). Combining eye gaze input with a brain-computer interface for touchless human-computer interaction. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 27(1), 38-51.
- Zander, T. O., Ihme, K., Gärtner, M, & Rötting, M. A. (2011). Public data hub for benchmarking common brain-computer interface algorithms. Journal of Neural Engineering, 8, 025021.
- Zander, T. O., & Kothe, C. (2011). Towards passive brain–computer interfaces: Applying brain-computer interface technology to human-machine systems in general. Journal of Neural Engineering, 8, 025005.
- Ihme, K., & Zander, T. O. (2011). What you expect is what you get? Potential use of contingent negative variation for passive BCI systems in gaze-based HCI. In S. D’Mello, A. Graesser, B. Schuller, & J.-C. Martin (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII 2011) (pp. 447-456). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Zander, T. O., Klippel, D. M., & Scherer, R. (2011). Introducing the detection of auditory error responses based on BCI technology for passive interaction. In G. R. Müller-Putz, R. Scherer, M. Billinger, A. Kreilinger, V. Kaiser, & C. Neuper (Eds.), Proceedings of the 5th International Brain-Computer Interface Conference 2011 (pp. 252-255). Graz: Verlag der Technischen Universität.
- Pape, A.-A., Gerjets, P., & Zander, T.O. (2012, May). Neural correlates of workload and puzzlement during loss of control. Meeting of the EARLI SIG 22 Neuroscience and Education. London, Great Britain. [Poster]
- Scharinger, C., Cierniak, G., Walter, C., Zander, T., & Gerjets, P. (2012, September). Same, same, but different: EEG correlates of n-back and span working memory tasks. 48. Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Psychologie (DGPs). Bielefeld. [Poster]
- Scharinger, C., Cierniak, G., Walter, C., Zander, T., & Gerjets, P. (2012, May). Measuring cognitivelLoad by means of EEG-data - how detailed is the picture we can get? Meeting of the EARLI SIG 22 Neuroscience and Education. London, Great Britain. [Poster]
- Walter, C., Cierniak, G., Rosenstiel, W., Bogdan, M., Zander, T., & Gerjets, P. (2012, September). Using passive brain-computer interfaces for cognitive workload assessment. 48. Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Psychologie (DGPs). Bielefeld. [Talk]
- Zander, T. O. (2011, November). An overview of spectral features in EEG used for BCI research. XIX Congress of the Italian Society for Psychophysiology. Brescia, Italy. [Talk]
- Gerjets, P., & Zander, T. O. (2011, November). Using passive brain-computer interfaces for cognitive workload assessment during learning: A novel methodological approach. 13th International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI). Alicante, Spain. [Talk]
- Zander, T. O. (2011, May). Utilizing brain-computer interfaces for general applications in human-machine systems. Wadsworth Center. Albany, USA. [Talk]
- Zander, T. O. (2011, November). Beyond BCI: Enhancing human-machine interaction with active and passive brain-computer interfaces. Institut für Medizinische Psychologie und Verhaltensneurobiologie. Tübingen. [Talk]
- Zander, T. O. (2011, September). Enhancing HCI with passive BCIs. future BNCI Workshop. Graz, Austria. [Talk]